Desktop support engineers are the IT professionals who fix issues with an organisation’s desktops, computers, and laptops and handle concerns with the servers and security issues that impact their business networks.
The desktop support engineer’s vital role is to deliver support and ensure all the computers, network connections, and software are running and functioning smoothly. The engineers contribute to the organisation’s success by providing the necessary support in the desktop environment.
Whether it’s a large enterprise or Server Message Block (SMB), the necessity of the Desktop Support Engineer is required everywhere for smooth and better assistance and resolve any technical issue in case of any malfunctions and ensure to make it user friendly.
Desktop support engineers often work as a helpdesk team, reporting to the Senior System Administrator or Engineer and sometimes supervising junior helpdesk employees.
As computer issues can arise anytime, the desktop support engineers can be called and expected at various shifts, including nights and weekends. However, they can access the other employees’ computers or laptops virtually or maybe through phone calls.
They may have to travel to individual work sites and server rooms and are often required to pick up and carry heavy equipment and parts of the devices. The world relies on technology these days. Because of the increasing reliance on computers, jobs for computer support services such as desktop support engineers are expected to grow by 12 per cent, much faster than the average for all jobs.
This growth will result in 855,700 new jobs through 2024, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Living in a revolution of informational technology, most companies demand contracts with large or medium-sized information technology organisations. Thus, technical support is what a client is looking for either in the assigned field or office.
DESKTOP SUPPORT ENGINEER JOB BRIEF:
Most IT companies look for a desktop support engineer to provide technical assistance and help install, upgrade and troubleshoot hardware and software solutions.
If you’re computer savvy, enjoy supporting the users and providing solutions, and have a problem-solving attitude along with an ability to give clear technical instructions, and are familiar with remote troubleshooting techniques, this particular job is for you. Ultimately, you will ensure prompt and accurate customer service and increase client satisfaction.
- Proven work experience as a Desktop Support Engineer, technical support engineer or similar role.
- Hands-on experience with Windows/Linux/Mac operating systems environments.
- Working knowledge of office automation products and computer peripherals, like printers and scanners.
- Knowledge of network security practices and antivirus programs.
- Ability to perform remote troubleshooting and provide clear instructions.
- Excellent problem and multitasking skills.
- Customer-oriented attitude.
- BSc in Computer Science or any relevant field.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Handle daily technical support activities on desktop support, data network and server management.
- Grow clients and communicate to the Account Manager by determining new opportunities.
- Setup desktop computers and peripherals and test network connections.
- Install and test desktop software applications and internet browsers.
- Test computers to ensure the proper functioning of computer systems.
- Develop and manage effective professional working relationships with contractor personnel, co-workers and clients.
- Adhere to policies as per corporate manuals and directives.
- Extend computer support for systems software and hardware.
- Set up computers and install software for various applications and programs.
- Interact with the staff on desktop problems and their resolution.
- Network and connect computers within the organisation to better communication.
- Order or buy computer systems and liaise with the purchase and supplies department.
- Maintain computer peripheral devices like printers and resolve the associated problems.
- DESKTOP SUPPORT ENGINEER SKILLS :
A Desktop Support Engineer must have advanced technical skills to solve potentially complex IT issues as interpersonal and leadership skills to manage a team of employees.
When searching for a job in the IT field, you’ll find that most Desktop Support Engineers job posts require these core skills.
- Knowledge of computer science
- Knowledge of software engineering
- Background in IT
- Strong communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to multitask
- Keep calm under pressure
Many professionals build these skills over time, but applying for a job and listing them on a resume can be profitable in securing the job.
- Programming experience
- Network security experience
- Training experience
TOOLS OF THE TRADE:
- Windows platforms
- Microsoft active directory
- Cloud platform
- Computer peripheral devices